Great British Bake Off week three challenge was bread. It inspired me to try to and play a little but more with the dough and pastry. I have to admit my previous attempt were not very successful. I managed to create very nice filling and taste but the pastry was tick, dry and in a simple word – awful.
Then I discovered this wonderful recipe from Italian Chips website which I completely adopted and created a wonderful and yummy Sunflower Spinach Mascarpone Pie.
I amended the recipe slightly so it worked better for me. The dough is made with white wine and is very soft, moist and delicious. Not just that the pie taste amazing, but it also looks fantastic. It is a true show stopper! Actually a true dinner stopper.
For the dough:
- 500 gr white flour
- 200ml warm dry white wine
- 90ml olive oil
- 2 tsb salt
For the filling:
- 350gr spinach
- 300gr mascarpone
- 100gr grated parmesan
- salt and pepper
I some egg wash and sesame seeds to add some colour!
1. Mix all the dough ingredients together with the mixer or your hand until uniformed together. Cover with the the cling film until you prepare the filling.
2. Boil the spinach and cut it. Add mascarpone cheese, parmesan, salt, pepper and origano. Mix it all together.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C.
4. Divide the dough into 2. Create 2 circles of 30cm each using a rolling pin.
5. Place 1st dough circle on a grease proof paper.
6. Place part of the stuffing in the centre of the circle and the remaining creating another circle around.
7. Cover it with the 2nd circle of dough. Wet the borders and attach one to another using a fork.
8. Place a small bowl over the central stuffing and punch with a fork all around.
9. Using a sharp knife cut the borders in 3cm slices. Turn them upside 90°.
10. Brush some egg wash over the pie. I also add some sesame seeds.
11. Bake for about 40 min on 180C.
Enjoy Miss Jx