Besides boiled dyed eggs, ham, spring onions and radishes, we also eat special bread baked for sunny Eastern morning. This beautifully crusty, slightly sweet bread is made into three, four or even six strand braid eaten on its own or with butter. Many European families made this bread circled around a boiled egg. I made four small braided bread for each member of my family. It’s very easy to make and trust me so delicious.
- 500gr plain soft flour
- 1 instant fast action bread yeast
- 1 egg
- 3 eggs yolks (2 for the dough and 1 for egg wash)
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp sugar
- 250ml lukewarm milk
- 100ml oil
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients together: flour, sugar, salt and yeast; stir well. Add egg and yolks in the middle of the dry ingredients.
- Gradually add the milk and oil to the flour mixture; stirring constantly. Knead for about 5 minutes in an electronic mixer fitted with a dough hook, or turn onto a floured surface and knead well for 10 minutes by hand.
- Shape the dough, then place in a bowl. Cover with a clean damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into four equal size rounds; Each roll should be divided into three equal pieces which are rolled round into three long strand about 40 – 50cm.
- Form a loosely braided ring and place in the baking tin covered with baking paper.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
- Brush each braided ring with egg wash. Egg wash is used to enhance the top crust of the bread. It adds shine and crispness, and enhances the beauty of the breads. Add some sesame seeds on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 – 40 minutes, or until golden.
Enjoy Miss Jx